Skip to main content

Don't let the sadness of your past ruin the present.....

A year ago this weekend, is the weekend that changed my life.  I had a conversation with a random person that spoke loud and clear and told me for once, to follow my gut.  And I did.  And what I found was shocking and devastating.  At the time, I thought it was one of the worst moments of my life, now I realize, it was a blessing.

I went through all the right motions and cried.  I cried A LOT.  I felt defeated.  I felt hopeless.  I felt sad.  I replayed the prior 12 years in my mind.  All the problems we faced, the struggles we had been through, and tried to blame myself.  But I couldn't.  He continued to convince me he wasn't seeing the other woman, he wanted me back.  But finding out he was lying to me (big surprise) and living with her is when I think I hit rock bottom.  But it all made sense.  And that's when my determination kicked in.

I made it through the holidays.  Of course there was turmoil.  He was living with her and I was seeing someone.  He couldn't take it.  He went crazy.  Just days into the new year my father was hospitalized for complications from a surgery he'd had just after Christmas.  He spent 6 weeks in the hospital and almost died.  I tried to balance single motherhood with being the daughter who wanted to spend time with her sick father.  Because the ex stepped up to help out so I could spend time at the hospital, his relationship with her ended.  So I became his new focus.  I'll admit, it was nice at first, but he soon became very controlling.

Of course this all led up to that one moment that truly opened my eyes.  The morning he physically attacked me.  A day doesn't go by when I don't think of it.  A night doesn't go by when I don't close my eyes and see the crazed look on his face as he rears back to head butt me.  The nightmares are not as frequent these days and the emotional scars are healing.  He did me a favor that day.  He gave me the strength and determination to make a better life for myself and for our daughter.

I set into motion, found a new home, finalized my divorce and spent the summer finding myself.  While he moved in with the next woman who came along.  I was never jealous, but felt sorry for him rather, I still do.  To be that insecure that you can't spend a minute alone.  For a while, that's what I thought I needed, was someone to fall to, but thankfully, I took the time to find me.

It hasn't been easy finding myself again.  But I did.  And I learned a lot about myself in the process.  The main thing being, I'm an incredibly strong woman.  And I'm proud of that.

As I previously wrote, I'm truly happy for the first time in years.  I've made new friends, lost a few friends, reconnected with old friends.  I've learned what it is to smile again.  I've been reminded of how a simple compliment can make me smile from ear to ear.  How a text that just says "Good morning" can make my day.

I'm thankful for that weekend a year ago.  Thankful for my family and friends that have stood by me and helped me get to where I am today. Thankful for those who advised me to not "rush into anything".  From this day forward, what's meant to be will happen.  And I think I'm finally ready to open up my heart again.

And to quote my favorite group Lady A... "I'm ready to feel now -No longer am I afraid of the fall down. It must be time to move on now - Without the fear of how it might end. I guess I'm ready to love again"

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look What the Cat Dragged In

 It's been a hot minute huh?  1,312 days to be exact.  Yes, I gave it a goog. I've been back several times but words escaped me.  Nothing would come out.  I was in a bad place for a long time.  But after a whole lot of patience, many prayers, and the support of my family and friends, I made it.  And it's worked out well for all of us.  We moved early this year into a cute little house.  Just me and my kids. My little guy, we will call him Felix, he's happier and has been a champ with the change.  He gets the best of both worlds.  Barbie Jr, she's been a Godsend.  I don't know what I would have done without her. There have been differences in ending a relationship vs. divorce (obviously).  Ins and outs.  But this time around, I can actually say Felix's father and I are doing pretty well at this co-parenting thing.  Which is an odd situation for me given what I went through with Ken.  But even that part is going well. Barbie Jr. graduated from high school in M

Kindness goes a long way

My last post was about how I refused to be irrelevant. I posted it the day before my 42nd birthday.  It was and is a phrase that has stuck with me.  I haven't blogged since, although I have been planning to. So months later, here On my birthday I received an anonymous gift of a beautiful Edible Arrangement with the attached card: I want whoever you are to know, I carry this with me in my wallet every single day.  I have a few special things that I keep with me always, a drawing Savannah did, a poem she wrote me to tell me everything would be fine when her dad and I were in an ugly custody battle, and now this.  Whoever you are, your kind gesture holds a spot among the most treasured things I carry with me day in and day out.  I take it out when I am having an especially down day to remind myself that I do matter.  That I am relevant. Yesterday was one of those days.  I was feeling down, unloved, unappreciated, so I took the note out and read it. And through my tears of frustr

I refuse to be irrelevant.

After insisting to my friends at work that I had *tried* to watch "Grace and Frankie" I discovered that I lied.  I had watched maybe 15 minutes of the show.  So I gave it a second chance.  I'm about halfway through the first season and something the character Grace said hit me like a ton of bricks.  "I refuse to be irrelevant." I. Refuse. To. Be. Irrelevant. To me it is a powerful statement.  And one I need to relate to more.  Because I can so related to feeling irrelevant these days.  I feel like I don't matter.  I mean of course, there are people I matter to, and others who make me feel irrelevant.  Who make me feel like my presence doesn't matter.  And I blame myself. Tomorrow is my birthday and I don't even care.  I've always been all woohoo, my birthday is coming up.  This year? I could care less.  It's a Tuesday.  I have zero expectations.  I'm sure people on Facebook will wish me happy birthday, but otherwise, it just feels l