Skip to main content

Don't worry, be happy. :)

I started this blog I believe sometime around 2005 or 2006.  As I mentioned before, so much of what I posted in the past, while it has a lot to do with who I am now, it was too painful and a chapter of my life that I closed, so I removed it to start fresh.

Today, I can post for the first time since I started this blog all those years ago, I am truly, fully, utterly happy.  I am at a place where I like myself again.  I'm single, I've lost weight, I feel great most days, I walk outside and see beauty all around me, and it's freaking wonderful.

I look in the mirror and love myself.  And it's not about my appearance.  I can look at myself and no longer feel shame.  I look at myself and see a woman who has changed tremendously over the past year.  Has faced some of the most difficult times in her life and kept plowing along stronger and with more determination.  Determined to not fail.  Determined to prove to mainly herself that she would survive.  And I did.

I finally told my sister the other day, I had gotten to the point before separating from my ex husband, that I was almost ashamed around my niece and nephew.  They know what I've been through, they've seen it.  They've seen him put me down, shout at me, pout with me, act ugly.  They hated him for it.  They hated him for turning me into the person I was becoming.  And when we finally separated, I remember both of them at different times randomly coming to me and hugging me, telling me how much they loved me and how proud they were of me.  That spoke volumes to me.  And even Barbie, Jr. remembers a few times when things got bad.  So when I found moments of weakness, thinking maybe I should give him another chance, or thinking well, maybe he could change, I would think of the three kids.  And what would that teach them if I went back?  And how disappointed they would be of me.  And how I needed to show Barbie Jr. that you stand up for yourself and don't settle for less than you deserve.  I grew up with a father who is a lot like my ex.  And for a long time, I allowed myself to repeat the cycle of what my mom went through.  And thankfully, I was able to break it.

My therapist and I talked about how good it all was for Barbie, Jr.  She now has a mother who is happy, and can focus on doing fun things together, rather than wanting to sit home and be sad all the time.  How she has a father who now spends time with her and appreciates the time he spends with her.  And he has a girlfriend who loves her and treats her like her own child.  So essentially, she is surrounded with love.

It's so good to be happy once again.  I had forgotten what it was like.  As I told my sister, asshat did me a favor.  Had he not done the things he did, I wouldn't have found happiness again.  I wouldn't have found who I am.  I wouldn't go back and change a thing.  Everything happens for a reason, and his actions gave me the means to reinvent my life.  And so far, it's freaking fabulous!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 random things

Apparently, this is my 100th blog entry post-divorce.  I wonder what I'd be up to if I still had up my archives???  Anyway, I will attempt to tell you 100 random things.  Some you might already know, some you may not.  Let's see how I do: I have a Barbie poster hanging in my current bedroom. I currently have 3 cats, a dog of my own and a foster dog My toenails are painted purple My fingernails are painted black My hair is the longest it has been in 20 plus years I'm happier overweight than I was when I was thin I spent half my life in a relationship with my ex-husband I have several nicknames including: Fred, Freddie, Froffie and the newest Froffles I have 5 tattoos Most of the shirts in my wardrobe are black or gray I stocked up on Puffs tissues with Vicks because you can only find them in the winter I have an older sister My parents are both retired I was a majorette in high school I also played clarinet I can no longer read music I wish I could...

Take Me As I Am

Ask my momma about the day I was born and you'll hear a story of my dad sleeping, my mom sneaking to scrub baseboards, her hemorrhaging and both of us nearly dying.  Moral of the story, I came into this world to the beat of my own drum.  No, no birth is "typical" but this event set the stage for my life. I was never the kid who wanted to be like all the other kids.  I was always unique.  I was never afraid of what people might think.  I did my own thing.  I still liked New Kids on the Block when I was 18, did I care?  No.  Did I care that I maybe didn't dress like everyone else?  No.  Did I care that my hair wasn't perfect?  No.  Little things that added up to make me who I was. While I've changed a lot over 37 years, one aspect that has changed very little is the fact that I still, march to the beat of my own drum.  And it's often said, that is one thing people admire about me.  That I've never been afraid to ...

Mirror, mirror

Not a day goes by that I don't think about my ex-husband and what transpired between us 2 years ago. Every day when I look at myself in the mirror, I am reminded of what happened that day.  A day that opened my eyes and showed me what I needed to do. Oddly enough, even though I think about it every single day, this year, the date passed and I didn't even realize it until today.  I'd like to think it's because I have put all that behind me.  At least, I hope that's what it is.  I've come a long way since that day. I'm a different person now than I was, but one thing has become abundantly clear to me, I am not so sure I like the person I have started to become. There have been many things over the past couple of years I am not proud of.  I've done some pretty stupid things while trying to soul search and find myself.  Yeah, we all make mistakes.  My problem? I keep making them.  The biggest thing I dislike about myself is my apparent inabili...